Monday, March 16, 2015

31 Days of Adventure - Day 16: The Midpoint Birthday



Did you know it was last year that I finally realized that my birthday is right in the middle of the month? 15 days before and 15 days after...don't know what it means, but it took me 47 years to realize that! LOL....Trying to be more observant now and sometimes that equates to a bit more wordy!

I have a special birthday text!

PSALM 103: 1 - 5 (especially that verse 5)

1Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and all that is within me,
bless his holy name!
2 Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and forget not all his benefits,
3 who forgives all your iniquity,
who heals all your diseases,
4 who redeems your life from the pit,
who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy,
5 who satisfies you with good
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.



Last night I was planning my birthday breakfast and happend upon some online menus.   One of them offered a bowl of granola for $9.25.   Now mind you it did come with organic vanilla yogurt, but honestly!   $9.25 for a bowl of granola?   Today, after "Granola Shock $9.25" last night, I decided to go to a old favorite The The Early Girl Eatery. I've never had a bad meal there and thought it would be appropriate for a Birthday Breakfast. Perfectly appropriate! I had the special which was Potato Spinach Cakes smothered with Vegan Tomato Gravy, Two eggs and Toast. I opted for the Herb Gravy on the side instead of the tomato gravy. De-lish-ous! That place is always hopping and always ready to serve and make the dish your way: vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, anything except taste free. Their dishes are always flavorful, filling and yummy.




And their service!!!! Always top notch...it's a casual place, but they are friendly, helpful and have mastered that perfect balance of attentive without overbearing. Today, I asked and got some extra service: On the far wall are a wall of windows, in each window is a plant. Several of those plants are spider plants...with many babies on each one. Since it was my birthday, I was a little more "froggy" than usual and asked the server if I could have a couple of the babies...she asked if I wanted the scissors and a bag...LOL! I thought it would be strange if in a restaurant full of people a customer started snipping at their plants so I asked if she could do it. She said sure! Thus ended my year long search for spider babies!



From there I ran my last minute rounds:
1) The Chocolate Fetish to pick up a few things for a friend and of course I had to get one Habanero Sea Salt Caramel for myself. Yes again, and yes same results with the burning lips! But it burns so good!) 

2) The Antique Tobacco Barn. I decided to purchase the two oil lamps I had seen yesterday! Because I thought about it overnight, that's not an impulse purchase, right? Happy Birthday to me?!  Well this was a challenge since they still had the kerosene in them. The cashier drained them and I asked that they remove the wicks too. No sense being overcome with fumes in the car on the way home.   I also asked that they remove the wicks. He also cleaned up the tops and packed them up very nicely in a box. When I got back to the car, I went ahead the put them in plastic bags and tied them off....no sense taking any chances. Once I get them cleaned up (by the end of the month) I'll share. 

3) Biltmore Village - This is another place I've been wanting to go to on many of my trips to Asheville. Eh! A big shopping center laid out like a village...they do have a few unique shops, but most of the stores were nothing that I couldn't hit across the street from my job.

4) Katuah Market - Grabbed some lunch from the hot bar Katuah Market, a local health food grocery (think mini-Whole Foods). I wasn't paying attention and lunch came to a bit more than I had planned...but wow! I had rice, baked beans and bbq sietan with cole slaw and collards....Everything was really good!....It had me thinking, I need to figure out how to make each of these items. The sauce on the beans and the bbq was tangy sweet...I think that might be Carolina style bbq....it was good. Did I mention I liked the bbq?

Then it was time to hit the road for the trip home....how much of an adventure is it to see $1.99/gallon gas! You know I filled up for under $20 (wasn't quite empty) But I think they should have made it $1.48 or $1.16 in honor of my birthday....but just the same it could have been $3.16, so I won't complain.  Hey! now there's an idea...if I ran a gas station, with proof of birth, I'd sell the gas for your age on your birthday - 10 gallon limit. And that's probably why I won't ever own a gas station! LOL!

Well I'm home safely, laundry in the machine, green smoothie stuff in the fridge (time to pay the piper!) and settling into my routine for a couple of days...ummmm 1/2 day on Thursday and off and Friday....Let the celebration continue!





No comments:

Post a Comment