Saturday, March 14, 2015

31 Days of Adventure - Day 14: Botanical Gardens and some Exploration



It was a great day. The clouds rolled back and the day was mostly sunny. I started the day with breakfast that I had prepared for.   Since it is the Birthday weekend,  I brought one setting of my china and treated myself to a really nice breakfast.   It consisted of granola and yogurt with grapefruit, pineapple and strawberries and a cup of wild orange tea.    The perfect way to start the day and hold me over til dinner.

I also got some reading in.  I'm currently reading "Three Simple Rules, That Will change the World"  by Reuben Job.   It's basically a guide, in the style of John Wesley for living a simple live.
After feeding the body and soul, I headed out to the Botanical Gardens at Asheville. It's located adjacent to the campus of the University of North Carolina at Asheville and contains over 600 plant species that are native to the Carolinas.



With spring around the corner I think within the next 3 - 4 weeks the Gardens will be in full spring bloom. There are rhododendron, azaleas and many other flower plants as well as native ground cover and trees along the half mile loop and various side trails that meander through the grounds. Several bridges are located on the grounds that take visitors over the stream that meanders through the area.

For the "Great Gatsby" fans, just outside the botanical gardens, heading back toward downtown Asheville, is a marker indicating that
Zelda Fitzgerald, wife of F. Scott, passed away in 1948 fire at the Highlands Hospital, just down the street. These markers are through out the area indicating other events of pop or historical significance.

A drive past the Grove Park Inn on the winding road which goes past it brought me up to a point looking out over the city and the Inn! This is the spot to go to if you want to get some great shots of Asheville from above...I did not get any of these shots, since I didn't want to get out of the car. Coming back down towards downtown, I drove through a few neighborhoods...yeah, I could live here! I think this every time I come here.

Then it was back to the hotel to have lunch/dinner - it was about 5:00 pm. I fear I may be turning into a "Florida Snowbird". You know the ones that eat dinner at 4:00 pm to get the special at a lower price! The truth is I just find it easier to eat two meals a day when on vacation since I want to sleep in a little and not eat too late....9:30 and 4:00ish work for me with a light snack in the middle.



Tomorrow, a bit of shopping...looking for a specific thing and my hunt for the perfect dessert (some of the bakeries are closed on Monday)...and we'll see what adventures come up!

No comments:

Post a Comment