Friday, January 9, 2015

Change is good for you

Well, I've made it through the first full week of 2015.  I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do next week when I have to work a full week, since I've had the past 3 Thursdays off.   But have no fear, vacation is coming up the week after next!
In my line of work, the time between mid-October and mid-January is very hectic and we don't get much time off.  It is our busiest time of the year, so now that we've started a new year and the end is in sight, I'm hoping that everyone has come through either their work situation, holidays or whatever end of the year tasks you had, not too badly beaten and looking forward to the weekend.
A few days ago, I was thinking that I’ve gotten into a rut with my routine, especially over the last 3 months.  And it wasn't an good routine either.  In addition or perhaps to kick start to my New Year goals, I decided to break out of my routine.  What did I do?
I parked on the other side of the building at work.
Yes, I know it's not a big step, but when you consider that for nearly 10 years, I’ve parked on the same side of the building and other than when I got my car new (it has dings now, so it doesn’t matter as much as it did before) in the same block of 4 or 5 parking spaces.  So I decided to mix it up and park on the other side of the building this week.  There were a few days where I was on autopilot and remembered when I had nearly reached "my block" of parking spaces.  To keep up with the challenge, I kept  driving and went around to the other side of the building.   I read somewhere that changing your routine keeps your brain cells firing.   I can testify to that!  I think a large majority of mine were firing when I walked out to the usual side early in the week and my car was missing!
Just sharing to say – do something new and exciting this year.   At my job, and I'm sure it's the same with many others, change is constant and will keep our brains firing with new challenges, perhaps more than we want it  to.  Do something in your everyday travels and adventures that challenges you.   You may learn something, meet someone or achieve something you never thought possible.
What change are you making to your routine?

No comments:

Post a Comment